Sunday, March 1, 2009

The next thing in investment.

If I were running a venture fund right now, I'd be looking at 3 major themes, and I have been consistent at sticking to these themes:
1. Energy
2. Water
3. Food or I'd call it agrotech

Now anyone not in a comatose would have known that billions of dollars of investment has been pumped into cleantech, so I kinda believe the whole sector is tapped out.

Potentially the bright spots are technologies that improve upon existing solutions, ie the race for better efficiency in solar is never ending, and so is the race to make cells and panels cheaper.

We have also seen a lot of investment into smart grid technology, and perhaps a movement into electricity on demand like if a domicile has its own source it is able to better regulate its own use, and also be able to sell any excess to the grid.

The other area is how to make wind more ubiquitous? There are areas where current wind technology does not work due to inconsistent or low wind speeds. I read the other day that a company was just funded to commercialize their gear technology to reduce energy loss via mechanical means.

Similarly to wind, how about underwater current (as opposed to the current wave technology). However of key would be concerns of environmental impact to oceanic life.

And for many company's in the area of energy, the race is now building up generating capacity, be it via plants or solar farms or wind farms.

I am hopeful that within the next 5 years we will start to reap the benefits of such technology in our daily life.

Next installment will be my thoughts on water technologies.

Sent from my Nokia phone

No comments: