Friday, July 25, 2008

I like this article!

I had a semi-serious discussion with my 7 year old daughter about a family friend who is doing his in-camp this next 2 weeks as part of his National Service reservist obligation as a Singaporean male.

To kick start the discussion, I had to qualify that I am a Malaysian and our friend, Singaporean, and for the typical Singapore, what is National Service and what is the purpose of his NS obligations years after he has served his full time national service.

"Why did uncle have to go back to become a soldier?", she asked; to which I replied in the event any country were to attack Singapore, they could defend their country.

Then the big question popped: "..and what will we do?"

At a lost of words, I said the first words that came to mind: "We will also fight to defend our home"

Funny, I now consider Singapore home, and would be willing to lay down my life even though I carry a different passport. Why? Because Singapore has given my opportunities that I otherwise would not have gotten had I lived back in my home country, and the only way I can repay the country in times of need to make the ultimate sacrifice (though I doubt very much if the armed forces would want a middle aged man with a broken knee - I would have been downgraded had I been SIngaporean)

And I guess this article lays out the reason why I feel more affinity to this country that my own. Though theoretically a foreigner, I was never question about my loyalty to the country in my previous line of work as they had judged me to be professional enough to make the right decision, without prejudice - period! Whereas, in my home country, I would always have to play second fiddle to the bumis and to the mass bumis, I would always be questioned on whether I am enriching myself or the country (why can't it be both)

http://themalaysianinsider.com/index.php/headlines/42-lead-stories/2180-sold-out-at-the-altar-of-malay-unity


No comments: