Friday, April 25, 2008

Political Baggage

As one who likes to watch Malaysian politics from afar, I was pleasantly surprised the government in Penang is coming together, and more importantly, one member (or rather ex-member) of the BN component party has decided to cross the unsaid line to work with the DAP government.

What is wrong with that, I ask. If the guy believes he can contribute the well being of the state of Penang, then all the more better. I would like to commend the CM of Penang for putting politics aside and welcoming Lee Kah Choon into the state government to head up the InvestPenang team.

What should matter more is:
1) He is the right man for the job
2) He is willing to work for the people
3) He does not mind working for people, who just weeks ago were considered his opponents.

Like a good lawyer I know likes to say: Let's call a spade a spade. If he's the right man for the job, then no one else should say anything to the contrary.

But his motivations must be sincere for I believe Penang will be in for a hard time getting assistance from the federal government until the next election.

And I say to the people in BN. GROW UP! Don't bite the hand that feeds it. Penang needs all the help it can get to continue to attract high tech jobs into the country, it is still a state of Malaysia and has not annexed itself out of Malaysia.

But with the childish approach that the BN government has done so far, I would not be surprised if the PR states will hold a referendum to annex itself out as independent states since it will not be getting any help from Putrajaya.

But back to Kah Choon. I can sincerely emphatize with him, for I have just also experienced a similar situation. But I laud Kah Choon for bravely taking on the position, for I took the opposite direction and declined to take the job.

But perhaps that is what that sets me apart from Kah Choon. He aspires to help all Penangites on his shoulders, whereas I just want to go on making a living and hopefully provide my family with an above average lifestyle.

No comments: