Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Airport users subsidizing the ERL at KLIA

This came about as some relevation that users of both KLIA and the LCCT is subsidizing YTL for the operating cost of the ERL.

While some may feel cheated, especially if you don't use the service but I feel that one must look at the matter objectively. I used to travel quite extensively to Heathrow airport and the cheapest, fastest, most reliable way of getting from London city to the airport was to use the Heathrow express.

The service is prompt and zooms me into London within 30 mins. The other alternative is cab, which could cost close the 60 gbp instead of able 30 gbp for the X.

And so does the ERL. The trains are clean and runs efficiently. I think it was a mistake not to extend the line to the LCCT because more people can then use the ERL to get to and from the airport from KL.

So for once, I think some quarters are barking up the wrong tree. Sure, the concessions should have been disclosed, but rather the cry over spilt milk, why don't the people put their heads together and lobby for the ERL to extend the line to include the LCCT?

At the end of the day, people must be willing to pay for service. Take the bus, while cheap may not be conducive since the bus is at the mercy of the jams that KL and its suburbs are so prone to.

Fair or not, you'll not hear me complain about the ERL as I think it's the right infrastructure to put in place.

Sent from my Nokia phone

No comments: