Friday, March 9, 2007

Fair Use - My FOOT!

I recently bought a CD, Lisa Ono, only to find that the CD is copy-protected by some technology from Midbar Tech.


I have copy protected CDs. As far as I am concerned, I am a responsible person who do not encourage music piracy, nor participate in it. I have been buying original music since time immemorial - I started buying originals since I was 12 years old and had to save up money over 2 weeks to buy my special tapes.


I digress, but the point of the matter is that fair use allows the user to make a small number of copies of his music collection for his own personal use. For instance, I listen to music at home, in the car and at work, and if you are like me, you will find that carrying the CD from home to the car to the office on a daily basis is not only a chore, it is ridiculous!

What is even more ridiculous is the RIAA, through the promotion of this Midbar technology, wants the use to buy 3 copies of the CD just for his own personal use. It's as good as robbing the consumer.


In this case, I do support all the hackers who try to find ways to defeat such copyrights because it is my right to listen to music that I have purchased however I want, provided I do not profit illegally from it.


I find this practice archaic, and undemocratic. Personally, I stuffed up as I should have looked closer at the CD sleeve to see if this was copy protected or not. I learnt the hard way with Sheila Majid's new Legenda CD, I've been bitted twice now with Lisa Ono's CD.


I swear that this will be my last CD that I will ever buy that have copy protection on it, and I hope both the RIAA or whoever promoted this technology, as well as the company itself go bust, as they are living in the ancient times. I this Steve Jobs is onto something, about eliminating copyright.


Blogged with Flock

No comments: